Saturday, May 24, 2008

Relief

I've been fishing around on the Bike and Build site and found out that in other riders' blogs, they've been training like fifty times more than me. Nervous, I texted Mike and Lou asking how much they trained. And then my phone immediately lost service because my house is a black hole. Anyway, I was comforted to wake up and (when my phone found service in Bridgeport) find Mike's reply, "Not much at all. The first three states will be your training." Ah, relief. Needless to say I'm cutting out the ride to Candlewood because I value life and instead, found the route of the Bloomin' Metric, the Sound Cyclists 100 km (64 miles) event in the Fairfield area. Coincidentally, it's a combination of my 20 mile loop on Redding Road (see previous posts) and my thirty mile loop on Valley Forge. Fun Stuff.

That thirty mile loop was from Easton to Weston to Redding to Georgetown to Wilton and back to Weston and back to Easton. I rode past the Saugatuck Reservoir in Redding which is almost as beautiful as the Easton Reservoir. Actually, they look identical, but I'm biased. In the second to last five miles of the ride, I swear every street in Wesont had the word "hill" in it. My favorite was Steep Hill Road which was, in fact very steep. But Kellogg Hill Road was the killer. Freakin' Weston. I'm looking out the window while I type this out and our neighbor is out riding his bike. He still has his training wheels and is just going back and forth. Those were the days...

Here's a picture I snapped of a mill on the border of Weston and Easton at the intersection of Old Redding Road and Easton Road (Rte. 136). It was built around 1940 by some guy who wanted to make his property prettier - I consulted Mr. Cruson.

2 comments:

Krysta said...

o i love that spot. i know exactly where that is : )

danger said...

thats a pretty sweet photo. should keep the training up, biking is more fun if your arent chasing tails the whole time.

dont forget sunglasses too. are you excited yet?