We got into Indiana yesterday and so far I am enjoying its relatively flat terrain and giant wheat fields. Apparently, people in Indiana also like to steal street signs to hang in their barns and the state just got tired of replacing them... so for us cyclists trying to get to Bedford, we had to rely on the kindness of the few passerbys. we would come to a four-way and there would be the pole, but with nothing on it. We also learned that people around here where there are no street signs rely on directions like, "right at the field, over the railroad tracks, you'll come to a river... go over the bridge and the road will fork. you want the left fork." "uh, ok" and then we would forget and have to ask some person sitting on their porch with the meanest looking dog in the world. I've noticed that when I talk to people with accents I aquire a twang for the durationg that I'm talking to them.
I am constantly surprised by the generosity of people. Today, a few of us were in the post office of Linton, IN and a man just gave us a twenty towards our cause. It was pretty awesome. The food we get donated is also amzing. Last night we had tacos at the church and they had everything from the rice and and the guac and the sour cream. Amazing. I also learned what a hoosier is. Or rather how it was derived. It's what people in Indiana would shout in the fields when the saw a visitor approaching. It's supposed to sound like "Who's there"
I just realized I've been sitting in this Library fiddling with the Internet and I'm still wearing my helmet. Awesome job, Mo.
We did 45 miles today which is like a break for us. Tommorrow is 75 miles to Illinois and into a new time zone.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that's pretty funny. the tacos sound damn good. Im glad you are having a great time exploring the country-side. you'll get bored of the fields....believe you me.
hahaha
Post a Comment